Popular Post

Posted by : Unknown May 31, 2014

Meet Sundered Wind, Student of the Thirteen Storm's Way

So, for this weeks write up, I am going to be talking about mystic martial arts and over the top kung fu movie action. Now, with this said I have some experience in Taekwondo, but that is not what I am shooting for. I want something really fuax Kung Fu at best, so please don't get in to the nitty-gritty on this one. It's supposed to be fun mystical warrior stuff.

So, just like what I have talked about in the previous Savage Write-ups, about Character Creation, and trappings. It's all in how you present your concept. The rules can be used to match your concept. But for this one, I think Deadlands Reloaded actually does a great job, so that's where I would start talking to my GM about this concept. For the background edge, I would use Arcane Background (Chi Mastery) as the source of power. The guys on the Deadlands developing team did a great job, with this one, I think. Basically it is similar to a Superpowers background, but with some minor differences. Of course, this concept does not really fit Deadlands but it doesn't need to. Ideally, to match the crazy over the top action, I want maybe I would save this concept for a game with no power points (using the same backlash for superpowers). Say my GM bought off on it and said lets go for it. I would make up my powers, as if I came from a school of martial arts. Powers should be easy enough, by now, but even when you watch a martial arts movie you see them using fighting techniques, that would not qualify under the Chi Mastery background. So how do we accomplish this? Trappings used in a different way than normal. Now don't be cornered into think this will only work with a martial character, it can be done with any character really.

So, the first thing I do is break out my handy combat survival guide from Pinnacle (see the tools if you need a copy). The best part of bad kung fu movies is that the guys, in them, have ridiculous names for attacks, stances, techniques, and anything else you can think of. So, I want to kung fu up my survival guide. Here are some examples. The best part about this is it will encourage me to think about other tactics, as I have given them trappings and put thought in to that part of my character:

  • Grim Tiger's Tornado(Gang up)
  • Thirteen Storm's Lightning(Agility Trick)
  • Thirteen Storm's Wind(Smarts Trick)
  • Dance of Fallen Trees(Taunting)
  • Fear Hold of the Tornado(Intimidate)
  • Thirteen Storm's First Strike(Wild Attack)
  • Eye of Hurricane(Aiming)
  • Rain of Vengeance(Switching to Ranged Attack)
  • Thirteen Storm's Rending Strike(Called Shot)
  • Thirteen Storm's Second Strike(Wild Attack)
Those are just the quick lists, going down the chart for this character. I would create a notes entry with my sheet with move names. Plus. the best part about this is if the GM gets on board with this crazy kung fu movie idea. he can create other schools and masters so that I can learn new moves. With my current school, the Thirteen Storm's Way, my Chi powers are likely to have trappings to reflect stormy weather. Meaning. I have reason to take up another master's teachings. so that I can learn earth powers and inspired moves. Plus. take a look at tricks. Sure, the survival guide says 'throw sand' but that's not the only option. When you think of a new way, to use one of these tactics, you can call it something else, and keep it in your notes. Next time you use it you know what to call it. Adding another layer on your character. My original concept is a sword saint type character. That means I can learn new styles, with new weapons, and new schools, opening up my character's options for tactics. 

Another thing that might be fun to play with, for this concept, is Skill Specialization, but limit it to only one fighting style, as your primary style. The one you started with, so in this case I would have Fighting(Thirteen Storm's Way) fighting done in this style, would get the benefit, but lets say I learn other schools. I can not specialize in them, because they are not the thing I developed the most time to. If in game I spend massive amounts of time, that the GM finds adequate, maybe I can change it to another style. I would also consider talking to the GM about adding to an edge later, that allows me to create my own style, inspired from Superior Kung Fu. Say after some time, my character has invested in mixing his Thirteen Storm's Way with Snap Dragon Style and Nu Phan Hammer. He can develop a new form called Thirteen Dragon's Hammer, which will become his new specialization. With Superior Kung Fu, I can pick any of the mentioned benefits and just change the school name to match. If it most closely resembles Tan Tui, go with it. If nothing matches, talk to your GM. He probably already has an idea for you, by now. This would also be a good time to talk to your GM, about making new powers or spending time in meditation, to develop new trappings to some of your old powers, to match your newly created school. This also means you have a tradition, to pass on to students or to call a curse, and keep to yourself as much as possible(perhaps a crafty GM would make an NPC observe and learn from our hero. That is if another player is not already doing the same). You could make a whole game, based on these mystical martial arts students, on their Warrior's Journey. Even make a setting, where this is common place. Something I may actually write up for myself and my readers.

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

- Copyright © Drop Dice - Date A Live - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -